Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tai Chi

A couple of months ago I signed up to learn Tai Chi with my spouse, Doug, and our friend, Jim. It was Jim who convinced us to sign up and I'm so thankful that he did, because I've been loving it! Every thursday evening we make our way to St. Hilda's church in Sechelt for two hours of observing, learning, practicing and moving. There are 108 moves in Tai Chi and it takes a 12 week course to be introduced to them all! (I say "introduced," because it takes years to really learn them.) It's challenging, yet relaxing. The two hour class includes a tea break after the first hour, which is always a much welcome break. We are encouraged to sit and chat and meet each other, which I dreaded at first, but I adapted quickly to this social aspect of the class; it's a great group of people and I enjoy meeting them and seeing their smiling faces every week. In fact, I've noticed that when I go to Tai Chi I can't stop smiling myself!

Every year a new t-shirt is created for the Taoist Tai Chi Society. Members of the Pacific Region are invited to submit designs, the theme being the Chinese Horoscopes. For 2009 it's the "Year of the Ox" and as a member I decided I'd give it a try! Here's my design:


2 comments:

Nicolette said...

Wow! I love it Helena! Did you illustrate this? It is great.

Helena Rae said...

Yep, I sure did, and thanks for the compliment! I'm keeping my fingers crossed....