Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Forgotten Pagoda, study I - first sketch of the year!

Today I went cycling about town and stopped at a little pagoda I discovered a few days ago. It's tucked away behind a rock wall and some trees, on a busy street corner. I call it the forgotten pagoda because it has weeds growing all over it, which gives it a lot of character, but it's obviously not very well maintained. I like it, though. It's a simple, humble pagoda sitting in its own quiet little courtyard, across the river from the massive, well-maintained pagoda that is the obvious tourist attraction.

I did a sketch of the small pagoda but didn't have the patience to get into much detail. As you can see, the further up to the top I got, the less detailed it became! I'll go back another day and give it another go. This little pagoda has got a lot of mileage for sketches and paintings....

Forgotten Pagoda, study I (04.01.2017)

No comments: